DARK RIVER by Alexa Romana
A Youth on the Steps Production of this unsentimental but sensitive play which traces the fortunes of the poorest of the human chain in Victorian London . Everyone is just trying make ends meet, the Mudlarks who scour the Thames mud for a pittance, the crossing sweepers, costers and even the pickpockets all strive to make their lives bearable, when into their midst comes a stranger. A maid-of-all-work, Sal, a girl from the country now running away from her Rotherhithe employer. An authentic depiction of life in Victorian London with many parallels to modern life, this play, interspersed with song and dance is highly recommended for schools and family audiences.
Directed by Christine Reddihough.
Musical Director Julian Brown.
Choreography Poppy Mansfield.
“if you have been watching the romantic and glamorous TV series Victoria then come and see Dark River, which depicts the opposite end of life in Victorian times, but also manages to show that even in the depths of despair there is time for a smile and the occasional touch of human kindness”
Discounts for groups and special Family Tickets at £28 Balcony and £32 Stalls
THEATRE ON THE STEPS - CONDITION OF TICKET SALES
- Once purchased tickets may not be exchanged nor money refunded.
- Smoking in all areas of the Theatre is strictly forbidden.
- Only food and drink purchased on the premises may be consumed in the building.
- Mobile phones and digital watch alarms must be switched off in the auditorium.
- In the interests of other patrons, babes in arms are not usually admitted. Exceptions may be made for pantomime and certain children's shows, when prior arrangements should be made with the Box Office and a ticket purchased irrespective of the age of the child.
- Due to fire regulations, all patrons, including babes in arms, must be in possession of a valid ticket before entering the auditorium.
- The management reserve the right to refuse admission of the ticket holder to the premises.
- The Management reserve the right to request the ticket holder to leave the premises and to take any appropriate measure to enforce such a request.
- Cameras and any form of audio or visual recording equipment are strictly forbidden in the auditorium.
- Latecomers will not be admitted, (prior to the show or after the interval) until a suitable break in the performance. Latecomers if admitted, may be required to occupy alternative seats.
- The Management may alter or vary the programme, artistes and timings without consultation or compensation.
- The performance may be cancelled for reasons beyond the control of the Management without notice and without the Theatre being liable to pay any person any compensation whatsoever other than a possible percentage or maximum refund to the ticket holder of the value of the ticket.
- When you book online we reserve the right to refuse entry to the theatre if your order confirmation e-mail is not produced upon your visit to the Theatre.