MUMBO JUMBO & DAVE ONIONS
TWO TOP ACTS COME TOGETHER TO FOR AN EVENING OF ACOUSTIC VAUDEVILLE
MUMBO-JUMBO and DAVE ONIONS
MUMBO-JUMBO are a close-harmony, eclectic, semi-acoustic piano-led wonder, Mumbo-Jumbo returns to the Theatre on the Steps, bringing together three top Midlands singer/songwriters to produce an ‘Eclectic Acoustic’ sound that is all their own at festivals, theatres and blues, folk and acoustic clubs across the country.
DAVE ONIONS -Rootsy singer songwriter with a distinctive percussive guitar style. Dave uses guitars and mandolins to create the ‘Onions’ sound on songs of world issues, loves lost and gained interwoven with ‘frivolity’.
Mumbo-Jumbo's new CD 'Sonic Gumbo' launched in March 2016 is getting lots of airplay and reviews, and the first CD ’Life of Riley’ has sold well over the last few years.
Twice nominated in the British Blues Awards (2016 and 2012) the trio has been recognised in both the Best Original Song/Songwriters and performance categories.
The trio, Oliver Carpenter, Chris Lomas and Phil Bond, all established lead vocalists combine to also produce strong complex tight harmonies. Add to this the nine instruments they play between them and you have an evening of wide ranging musical textures, sounds and flavours, excellent musicianship and strong songwriting.
Mumbo-Jumbo’s recent schedule included blues, folk and jazz festivals showing the bands range and eclectic appeal. It included the Great British R&B Festival,
Birmingham Jazz, Upton Blues, Bromsgrove Folk, Ealing Blues, Monmouth Music, Blues at The Fold, Nantwich Jazz, Blues & Music, Tenbury Blues and Upton Folk.
“The musicianship is unsurpassable, and the songwriting is excellent.”
Blues in Britain magazine
"The hugely entertaining Mumbo-Jumbo have that rare knack of making you their best friend as soon as they hit a note. We got uke, accordion, trumpet, kazoo and beatbox alongside some terrific guitar, piano and smart vocal harmonies. These guys do everything from boogie to mad singalong via tex-mex and Tom Waits. Everyone fell in love with them!”
John ‘The Hat’ Mann – Blues Blogger and Radio Presenter
Oliver Carpenter - Vocals, Trumpet and Percussion
Oliver’s vocal variety and general good humour front Mumbo-Jumbo. Recently
described as “The nearest singer to Tom Waits that we have,” by Blues in Britain magazine.
Chris Lomas – Vocals, Bass, Ukelele and Guitar
Chris is the epitome of a professional blues musician, and a familiar face backing Tommy Allen, Steve ‘Big Man’ Clayton, The Mighty Houserockers and top US
bluesmen on tour.
Phil Bond - Vocals, Piano and Accordion
Phil has also been a pro musician for many years, playing with all and sundry around Birmingham, including The Dylan Project with Steve Gibbons, Dave Carroll, and many, many others.
THEATRE ON THE STEPS - CONDITION OF TICKET SALES
- Once purchased tickets may not be exchanged nor money refunded.
- Smoking in all areas of the Theatre is strictly forbidden.
- Only food and drink purchased on the premises may be consumed in the building.
- Mobile phones and digital watch alarms must be switched off in the auditorium.
- In the interests of other patrons, babes in arms are not usually admitted. Exceptions may be made for pantomime and certain children's shows, when prior arrangements should be made with the Box Office and a ticket purchased irrespective of the age of the child.
- Due to fire regulations, all patrons, including babes in arms, must be in possession of a valid ticket before entering the auditorium.
- The management reserve the right to refuse admission of the ticket holder to the premises.
- The Management reserve the right to request the ticket holder to leave the premises and to take any appropriate measure to enforce such a request.
- Cameras and any form of audio or visual recording equipment are strictly forbidden in the auditorium.
- Latecomers will not be admitted, (prior to the show or after the interval) until a suitable break in the performance. Latecomers if admitted, may be required to occupy alternative seats.
- The Management may alter or vary the programme, artistes and timings without consultation or compensation.
- The performance may be cancelled for reasons beyond the control of the Management without notice and without the Theatre being liable to pay any person any compensation whatsoever other than a possible percentage or maximum refund to the ticket holder of the value of the ticket.
- When you book online we reserve the right to refuse entry to the theatre if your order confirmation e-mail is not produced upon your visit to the Theatre.